in the tradition of Sayagyi U Ba Khin
Centre Location: Website | Map
** Unless noted otherwise, course instructions are given in the following language(s): English
Dhamma Torana (Auspicious Gateway of Dhamma) is aptly named. The nearest major city, Toronto has been recognized by the United Nations as the most diverse city in the world, with more cultures and religions represented there than anywhere else. The centre has over 140 acres of beautiful woods, open spaces and ravines. A variety of wildlife shares the land with the meditators. The surrounding countryside is mostly agricultural, but a number of small towns and the city of Barrie are nearby.
- Access the application form by clicking Apply for the desired course. Old students will be given the option to serve.
- Please carefully read the Introduction to the Technique and Code of Discipline which you will be asked to follow during your course.
- Fully and completely fill out all the sections of application form and submit it. An application is required to register for all courses.
- Await notification. All correspondence will be through e-mail if you give an e-mail address in your application. Due to the large volume of applications, it may take up to two weeks before receiving notification.
- If your application is accepted then we require you to confirm you will be attending in order to secure your place in the course.
Ontario Vipassana Centre -- Dhamma Torana
6486 Simcoe County Road 56
Egbert, Ontario, L0L 1N0, Canada
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (705) 434-9850
Fax: (866) 691-5214 (Toll-Free in North America)
Before applying, please ensure you meet the following criteria:
- You are under 75 years of age.
- You have a sure way to leave the Centre if you become sick during the course. If you do not arrive by private car, then you will need to provide us with the name of a family member or friend who is willing to come on a moment’s notice to take you home.
- You do not have any comorbidities or health-compromised conditions that put you at greater risk.
- You agree to wearing a face covering while at the Centre. Face coverings are mandatory while meditating in the meditation hall, if you have a hard time breathing through a face covering please consult with your healthcare practitioner or reconsider submitting an application at this time.
- You are permitted to not wear a face covering anytime you are outdoors, in your private room, meditation cell, or eating/drinking.
- You agree to adhere to the safety protocols while at the Centre (hand washing, physical distancing, hand sanitizing where hand washing is unavailable).
- You accept a menu with less variety, without special diet accommodation.
- In the 14 days leading up to the course, you agree to cancel your application if:
- You have tested positive for covid-19.
- You have been asked to quarantine.
- You have experienced symptoms related to covid-19.
- You have been out of Ontario.
For all virtual sittings and programs, please visit the old student page for details: https://torana.dhamma.org/os/virtual-group-sittings/
Dhamma Torana offers one day Teen courses age from 13-17 and Children courses from 8-12.
See Comments for any special instructions for each course in this section.
All ten day courses begin on the evening of the first day, continue for ten full days and end on the early morning of the last day.
If you have any serious food allergies, or due to medical issues, need a 5 pm meal or some other special consideration, please be sure to include this information in your application. If we receive this information after your application has been processed this may affect your status on the course and we may not be able to serve you properly.
Please apply for no more than one ten-day courses at a time.
During the registration process, you will be receiving a number of e-mails from us. If you don't receive these emails, please check your Spam/Junk Mail box.
The online application form encrypts your information before it is sent from your computer to our application server. However, it may not be totally secure even though encryption is used. If you are concerned about the possibility of security risks of your confidential information while it is on the Internet, do not use this form and instead download an application. Print and complete it. Then please send the form to the course organizers. By faxing or posting your application form it may delay the registration process by one to two weeks.
To access the Old Student Regional Site please click http://torana.dhamma.org/os. A user name and password will be required to access these pages.
Questions may be addressed to Email: [email protected]
All courses are run solely on a donation basis. All expenses are met by donations from those who, having completed a course and experienced the benefits of Vipassana, wish to give others the same opportunity. Neither the Teacher nor the assistant teachers receive remuneration; they and those who serve the courses volunteer their time. Thus Vipassana is offered free from commercialisation.
Old students are those who have completed a 10-day Vipassana Meditation course with S.N. Goenka or his Assistant Teachers. Old students have the opportunity to provide Dhamma Service at the courses listed.
Meditation courses are held at both center and non-center locations. Meditation centers are dedicated facilities where courses are held regularly throughout the year. Before meditation centers were established in this tradition, all courses were held at temporary sites, such as campgrounds, religious retreat centers, churches and the like. Today, in regions where centers have not yet been established by local students of Vipassana who live in the area, 10 Day meditation courses are held at non-center course sites.